I love homemade potato salad! It’s one of our Easter meal must have side dishes. Where as Jason’s grandma Doodle would usually purchase the potato salad for Easter, I always make it from scratch just like my mom made it. Well, it’s how I remember my mom making it. Through the years I’ve made changes and additions of my own. I didn’t even realize it until Mom helped me make it one day! I guess recipes tend to change over time just like gossip does!
6 medium potatoes, boiled
3 hard boiled eggs
3/4 cup real mayonnaise
1/3 cup dill pickle relish
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Lawry’s season salt
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
Gently fold in all the ingredients except paprika to the chopped potatoes and eggs. My mom always chops up dill pickle slices. I admit that I do like the chunkier pickles in the potato salad, but when I weigh the time to chop them verses spooning in dill relish…I go with the relish! I don’t remember if she used chopped onions, but I love the dried minced onion. It gives it a great flavor without that chomping into a raw onion experience.
Sprinkle potato salad with paprika. Serve and enjoy.
For occasions like Easter I always make it the day before and refrigerate it!
- 6 medium potatoes, boiled
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup dill pickle relish or chopped pickles (Pickle lovers add more!)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's season salt
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes.
- Grate or chop hard boiled eggs.
- Gently fold in all the ingredients except paprika.
- Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with paprika.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.