There is so much family fun to be had in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. We lived right in the middle of the metroplex for over twelve years and loved raising our kids where there was so much to do. One year ago we moved away to be closer to family. It’s a great move for us, but we regularly discuss what we miss about DFW. Here are our favorite Dallas/Fort Worth things to do with kids! Whether you live in the area and are looking for something new and fun to do or are visiting DFW here are our family favorites:
1. Six Flags over Texas! Fantastic roller coasters and rides for every thrill level–the number one attraction my kids miss in DFW is the dozens of visits to Six Flags. Every visit is so exciting. We went all out and purchased food and drink passes, and we were never disappointed. Located in Arlington right in the middle of the metroplex and easy to get to.
2. Great Wolf Lodge! In Grapevine GWL is the perfect family getaway any time of year. The main attraction for us was always the amazing indoor water park. Whether it’s freezing outside, too hot, or raining the fun never stops at Great Wolf Lodge. But when the weather is great, there is also an outdoor water park for some fun in the sun. Make the most of your stay with Paw Passes that include the resort’s best attractions including Magiquest at a discounted rate. So much to choose from in accommodations as well. Whether you want a standard room, Loft, KidCabin Suite, Grizzly Bear Suite, or any other choice, your stay is always an adventure!
3. Medieval Times! Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, enjoying a holiday, or just want a great night out with the family, Medieval Times takes you back in time to an age of knights and princesses. The show is fantastic from any area of the arena–trust me! 😉 And the food is always great and so fun to eat with your hands, an amazing experience all around!
4. Grapevine Mills Mall! When it comes to shopping with kids there is no better place than Grapevine Mills Mall. It is a destination in itself with so much to do! Find great deals shopping and bribe your kids with a carousel or train ride, go bowling or play arcade at Round One and so much more like…
5. LEGOLAND Discovery Center! Located at the Grapevine Mills Mall LEGOLAND Discovery Center is a LEGO loving kid’s dream. Watch the latest 4D LEGO movies, try your skill at Ninjango Training Camp laser maze, in the summer enjoy Pirate’s Beach LEGO water play, explore what’s new at Miniland LEGO Display, enjoy LEGO karaoke, drive a LEGO car, ride one of their two rides, and just build to your heart’s content!
6. SEA LIFE Aquarium! Also located in Grapevine Mills Mall and right next to LEGOLAND Discovery is Sea Life Aquarium. Learn about sea creatures through so many interactive stations.
7. IT’Z Family Food and Fun! Located in Bedford, IT’Z is a fun family hang out. Your entry fee includes a pizza buffet and drink and then you may purchase points on a game card to play arcade and other games. Or purchase the pass that includes bowling, go carts, bumper cars, and laser tag. Stay all day and eat as much as you want. It was our tradition to eat first. There are multiple themed rooms to choose from in which to eat your food. We always chose the movie theater room and would try to get there when it opened and watch an entire movie before heading to the games, so many great memories here!
8. Ripley’s Believe it or Not! If you like the fun, crazy, and bizarre, you will love Ripley’s! Every visit was always a blast. I still just shake my head when I think of things that happened or that I learned there. 😉
9. Fort Worth Stockyards! So much to see and do downtown Fort Worth for FREE! We loved taking the kids to the Stockyards to see the Longhorn cattle drive, old time gun fight in the street, petting zoo and so much more.
10. Fort Worth Stockyards Championship Rodeo! See real cowboys and cowgirls in action. Kids get to participate. I don’t ever want our kids to forget our cowboy culture.
11. Mesquite Championship Rodeo! If you’re visiting Texas you’ve GOT to catch a rodeo to really say you’ve been here! 🙂 The Mesquite Rodeo is pro all the way.
12. Fort Worth Zoo! From the time we moved to the area everyone recommended the Fort Worth Zoo, and it is indeed a great one.
13. Dallas Zoo! The Dallas Zoo may be smaller, but it has some fun quaint things about it that are appealing because it is small.
14. Nash Farm! Teach your kids how people used to live and farm a century ago as you tour Nash Farm.
15. Bass Pro Shop! So much fun always happening at Bass Pro. Take fishing lessons, look at the animal displays, grab some fudge or just shop.
16. Fort Worth Museum of Science and History! So much hands on learning at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. A couple hours or all day, my kids always had a blast.
17. Zingerz Comedy Club! A Comedy club with the family in mind. We laughed until our sides hurt every time we went. This is one of my kids’ favorite family outings.
18. Cabella’s! Another fun place to hang out with kids! On the weekends there are usually fun things happening for families. Check their online calendar.
19. Dallas by DART train! Want to see the sites downtown Dallas, but don’t want to drive in the traffic. Heading to the city via DART train is a super fun family activity. I’d just recommend doing it during the day. If you’re going at night take your beefy man with ya. 😉
20. Perot Museum Dallas! The Perot Museum is another great place that combines lots of family fun with learning.
22. Zone Action Park! Our favorite Go Carts place in DFW is definitely Zone Action Park. With a separate Go Cart track for little kids, (almost) everyone gets to drive. So much fun!
23. Dallas Cowboy Stadium! Catching a game at the Dallas Cowboy Stadium is a blast! It may be pricey for the entire family, but tours are available and it’s definitely something to see.
24. Fort Worth Botanical Gardens! The Fort Worth Botanical Gardens is a beautiful place to explore. With the exception of the Japanese Gardens area it is FREE!