I don’t remember the first time I tried this dessert. I kind think my Mom made something similar when I was growing up, but Jason’s grandmother Delores made it every year for Easter. It’s one of the foods my husband would most look forward to. So when Grandma passed away, and we began celebrating Easter at home naturally my husband wanted Cream Puff Dessert!
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1 cup flour
3 cups milk
6 oz instant vanilla pudding
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz Cool Whip
This is a huge hit at our house at Easter or any time. It does take time between steps to cool the pastry and set the pudding, but it’s very easy and works well made ahead.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 6 oz instant vanilla pudding
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- Making Cream Puff Dessert take three steps. The first step is to make the pastry. Bring the butter and water to a boil.
- Add the cup of flour carefully as the water and butter begin to rise as it boils.
- Mix in the flour. Remove from heat and cool.
- When the batter is cool, stir in the eggs.
- Spread into a 9×13 inch baking pan and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Cool completely.
- Step 2 is making the pudding. I use my mixer to cream the cream cheese.
- Then I switch to the whisk attachment and slowly add the pudding and milk.
- When pastry is completely cool, spread the pudding over the pastry. Refrigerate until set. I usually leave it overnight, but an hour or two would be fine.
- Finally, spread the container of Cool Whip over the set pudding and serve!