Annoying, thoughtless, irritating, amusing…it probably depends on my mood how I take the things people say, but the truth is no matter where I go with my five children in tow I get these comments, and if you have multiple children you probably get them too.
1. “You’ve got your hands full!” I keep saying I’m going to come up with something clever to respond to that, but so far I just smile and nod. Maybe next time I’ll say, “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!” and see what happens.
2. Don’t you hate it when people take one look at you and ask, “Are you tired?” Just tell me I look awful and be done with it! One lady walked directly to me at the store and said, “Get some sleep,” and walked away.
3. One day I got whammied twice. First a woman came up and said, “I love to see kids that look like they dressed themselves!” The funny thing was that I had actually picked out all their clothes. Simple Ts with holey jeans just work just fine for me! Then when we were checking out a lady came over and said, “You’re doing a great job Mommy!” with a very pained “you can do it” expression. Ha!
4. Well at least those people were honest! On the flip side there are the ones that comment with things like, “Oh. Wow. Five kids. You must be super mom.” Uh huh. Yeah, that’s me alright. I’m just super-de-duper. Insert very fake smile here.
5. “Are they all yours?” If I just had a dollar for each time I heard that one right? Read this story that happened at Walmart! 🙂
6. Then there’s the ol’ “Do they all have the same father?” I know in this day and age more times than not a blended family is the reason for so many children, but it always strikes me as such a hilarious question to ask someone. Yes, my man and I had them all together, no other fathers or mothers involved. Ha ha.
What’s your “favorite” comment you hear over and over when out and about with multiple children?